Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Comment

So this is a comment I wrote in response to a blog post on www.singlemomseeking.com (Rachel Sarah's blog--if you haven't read her book Single Mom Seeking you absolutely should!). The blog is titled "If you're dating again, some hope", and (not to toot my own horn) I liked my comment so here it is:




I've been single for almost a year now and a mom for 5 1/2 months... I started reading your book last night (and got half way through it before I realized I had to be up in five hours...) and I have to say it is making me feel a lot better about my situation.

Like you, I have always had a tendency of rushing into both intimacy and relationships. When I meet a guy I like I fall hard and fast.

I am terrified of making this mistake (I also tend to fall hard and fast for all the wrong men) and having it impact my son's life in a negative way. I have made a list on many occasions of traits a man "must" have for me to be with him, but it always seems to fall to the wayside when I meet Mr. Wrong.

I've been on a total of two dates since I had my son and I have to say I've been getting very discouraged with men. It also doesn't help that I moved for a new job two and a half hours away from my safety net, so on those days and nights where I get lonely I can't just head over to a girlfriend's house and watch chick flicks and eat bad movies. So I clean. Cleaning is my cure for dating frustration.

I hope to eventually find that someone special, and I really truly believe I will (I have to believe...), but until then I have my son, and my vacuum.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED your comment. Thank you!.

    And I love your last line in this post re: "...but until then I have my son, and my vacuum."

    Have you put on your single mom "radar" to find a single mom at the local park? I dare you to say "hi" to her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no moms at the park on account of the snow :-( But you better believe I'll be trolling all the parks in my area for new friends as soon as the temperatures rise enough to make me get out of my nice warm house! Have you checked out cafemom.com? I found a mom-friend in my area on there, her son is a few months younger than mine, and we've had one play-date thus far and are planning another one next week. :-) It's also a really fun place hold debates and conversations on a lot of important issues (spanking, education, etc), as well as less important issues (WHAT TO WEAR?!?! haha).

    ReplyDelete