Monday, January 3, 2011

Tricky Definition

I recently think I went on a date (which is fitting, considering my last blog entry), which forces me to ask the question: What defines a date?

Traditionally speaking, the easiest way to differentiate a date-date from a friend-date would be who pays. If he pays then it's a date. However, with the advancement of feminism, many couple "go dutch"; a phrase I've never understood. I know also that, in my experience, I've taken turns paying for outings with several of my male friends whom I have most definitely not been dating.

The other most notable and common way to distinguish a date-date from a friend-date would be, of course, the end-of-the-date-goodbye. A good-bye kiss, or even a small amount of hand-holding, can signify a date. But what about a slightly awkward hug? Is that a sign that the date didn't go as well as you thought it did? Maybe he didn't mean it to be viewed as a date and doesn't know how to tell you that without hurting your feelings? Or maybe he's just shy, or being a gentleman by trying to take things slow. How can you really tell?

So my question for you, ladies (and possibly gents), is this: Can you think of any other actions that might signify whether dinner and a movie is a date-date or a friend-date?

No comments:

Post a Comment